Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Bike Friendly?

I haven't been writing much about my workouts but something happened Sunday during my bike that I felt I should.

Earlier in the week I had riding in self proclaimed bike friendly Cary, NC. I went out Monday before lunch for a 20 mile bike, it usual takes me about 1 hour 8 minutes of total time including stop lights, but this time it took me 1 hour and 17 minutes. I got stuck in two left turn lanes with no cars in the lane to tell the light that it needed to give me a left turn signals. Then I got stuck at a light where I was going straight, and there was a car in the left turn lane, so the light gave the car a left turn signal, but never turned green for straight. This being the third time I got screwed, I was not happy. Fast forward to Sunday, I had a 28 mile ride mapped out, with about 8 traffic lights, compare that to my 20 mile Monday ride with about 20 lights. I rode the first 18 miles before actually getting stopped at a light. It was a left turn light at hwy 50 and hwy 210 in Johnston county. I was in the left turn lane and thought I was going to have to run it, since there were no cars to trigger the light in my lane, but image my surprise when I got a left turn signal. Here I am in Johnston county and they have their sensors setup to know when a bike is waiting. Wake up Wake county, you are supposed to be pushing for less pollution and bike lanes, adjust your lights already. When I went to college in Gainesville, Fl my junior year the changed the lights to be more sensitive for bikers, and here we are 20 years later and we can't do that here? Anyway it was a pleasant surprise and made the cold ride feel much better :-)

No comments: