Friday, February 22, 2008

Thursday Run

I haven't really been posting much about the shorter weekday runs or other workouts as my time has been short lately, but yesterday I got to experience something new so I thought I should put it out there just in case I forget later on in life. I did a really hard workout tuesday of 5 x 1000 at just over my goal 5k pace with 200 jog recoveries. So it was almost like doing a 5k at a 1 minute faster than PR pace which I haven't done since 2004. So Wednesday I was sore in my quads like I haven't been in 4 years. Especially going down stairs. that night is the 90 minute spin class that I have been taking and I almost didn't make it through. So Thursday morning I wake up and I am having real trouble walking and I have to hold onto the railing to go down any amount of stairs.
Lunch time comes and its time to run. I walk to the rec center about .5 miles in hopes that my legs will loosen up a bit before the run, but no, they still really hurt. I have one person to run with and I inform him I am going slow, we start off nice and slow and it hurts. We start going up a slight incline to harrison and it hurts, we flatten out on harrison for short bit and it hurts, then we have a long false flat down, and it hurts even more, then a steep down and the pain is through the roof. Frank asks me if I'm going to make it or not. I reply, sure, this is so much fun why would I want to stop? Then we get to a long fairly steep climb by the lake and like magic going up this hill does not hurt. How could it be? Could it be that the only mucles not sore in my legs are my hill running muscles? or have I just warmed up enough that the pain is going away. Answer #1, because then we have the short steep down followed by another long false flat down and the pain is back in force. luckily, did I just say that, the rest of the way back is Up, show Down, then Up, Up, UP. So the last .75 miles which I usually hate were the best of the day. I have never gone out on a run before and wanted to run up hill as much as I did today. Of course then the walk back to my office...

No comments: