Thursday, March 4, 2010

Birthday Triathlon

On Monday March 1st, I turned 42 and decided that this year I would do a birthday triathlon. All distances/times had to relate to 42 so the plan was to do a 42 lap swim in the AM, a 42 minute mountain bike at lunch, then go to the nOg run club after work for a 4.2 mile run. Sunday I woke up and was not feeling 100% and I had a sub-par run on Saturday. I thought it was just part of the normal cycle of good/not so good workouts and went out in the 29 degree weather for a 2+ hour bike ride. It wasn't the best workout but it wasn't bad either. The rest of the day however should have clued me in to the fact that I was coming down with a cold.
Woke up Monday morning, still not feeling that great, had a bit of a sore throat, but it went away after I got up and ate breakfast. Spent some time getting ready for the 3 workout plus work day and headed off to the pool to swim.
The swim went well, I had a appointment to get my swim stoke videotaped so I could analyze it later. The video came out good, but still waiting on the analysis part. Finished off my laps and headed to work.
Decided to take a half day so I could drop off my tri bike for a quick checkup and ride the mtn bike, then drop that one off at the other bike shop for it's one year checkup.
I really wanted to ride single track, but the trails were closed due to wet trails so I had to just ride the fire trails and greenways for an easy 42 minute spin. I could tell my legs were not all that great and my energy level still a bit off, but really it wasn't that bad so the night run was still on.
After some patience testing at Sam's club trying to get my tires rotated I picked up the girl from school then dropped her off at gymnastics and headed to the bar to get ready for the run.
The run went really well, we ran a nice comfortable 10:30 pace and I was able to socialize with everyone along the way and really enjoyed running in downtown Raleigh. Luckily the lights were with us and allowed the group to stay together the whole way until the last 1/4 mile or so when the impatient went off the front, but everyone made it back to the bar and in good spirits. I felt really good the whole time on the run and after so my fears about getting sick were starting to abate. Unfortunately I am sick now, but I think that had more to do with the track workout on tuesday in the cold/wind but that is another story.
Had such a good time at the nOg run with the group that I think I am going to make it a yearly tradition on my birthday week. Thanks to everyone who came out and see you again next year.

1 comment:

butcept said...

As I said before, it was the best Bill birthday I ever had! Great idea!