Thursday, August 23, 2007

Chased by a thunderstorm

Went outside this morning with the mp3 player loaded with 80's tunes ready for an easy run around the neighborhood. The sky was a pale yellow color and very overcast. Haven't seen that color before so I didn't know what to expect. I saw on the news at 5:30 that there were thunderstorms in Durham headed this way, but they don't usually make it all the way down here before breaking up especially in the morning. So started off and felt really good for some reason. The temp was 72 but still humid. This I guess this is much better than 80 and humid like Tuesday was, so that may have been it, but the air was cooler, there was a breeze. I kept telling myself to keep the pace down and save it for the weekend. This was working as when I got to mile 2 I was averaging right at 10 min mile pace. A half mile later I heard the first bit of thunder. My first thought was it will be nice to get rained on to cool off. But then I started thinking about lightning and how I am a magnet for it every since the chair lift I was on got struck by it and my lift ticket got fried and I had a huge bruise for a week. So at mile 2.5 I decided to take the 1 mile shortcut home and push the pace, then do a 1.5 mile cool down on the treadmill. The 8 something pace I kept the rest of the way home felt good and just as I hit the one hill left, Joe Satriani came on the mp3 player and that always adds some spring to my pace. Made it home just as the rain started to fall, and managed to do an easy 1.5 on the treadmill while watching the news.
Finally a descent run, gives me hope for my 13 mile run Saturday and 65 mile bike on Sunday...

No comments: